Do you like envisioning what the skyline could look like with a really cool building? Do you like looking at spaces outdoors and imaging a park, or space indoors and seeing how you could fit interesting furniture? If so, you're in the right place for an Architecture and Building degree.
Complete Guide to Architecture & Building Degree in Malaysia
An Architecture & Building Degree is a marriage of art and science. It focuses on both theoretical and practical construction practices in electrical, mechanical, plumbing and structural engineering. Architects are not always endowed with artistic talents, you can always learn to develop your conceptual ideas into reality through practice.
Architects usually lead construction projects, and work together with both developers and contractors. An Architecture and Building Degree in Malaysia degree involves a lot of theory, design, and site-visits that goes beyond a classroom space.
In Malaysia, obtaining a Professional Architect (Ar. title) recognition takes about 7 - 10 years as it requires a Masters and at least 2 years mandatory work experience. One must undergo this entire journey to be called an Architect.
Fields in Architecture and Building
||Residential architects develop housing communities and the design of the homes . They work on ensuring the liveability of the house while following the overall design standards of the neighbourhood and law.
|Commercial or Public Architect
||They work on commercial and large scale projects. Besides facilities like shopping malls and business buildings, this field of architecture also includes other major infrastructure and civil works such as transportation hub planning.
||Landscape architecture involves the designs and constructions of outdoor areas like parks and gardens. However, it does not limit to the development of plants and trees, landscape architects also work with living materials to integrate horticulture into structural designs.
||Interior Design Architects work on both structural and aesthetics of a building. Their expertise allows the optimum use of space while keeping it visually pleasing and safe.
||Eco living is the way forward, hence many developers are incorporating Green Tech into their buildings. Green design includes the developments of new technology and innovations that are environmental friendly and energy saving. Examples are rain water collection systems, solar panels, natural insulators and much more.
How is an Architecture and Building Degree structured in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, obtaining a Professional Architect (Ar. title) recognition takes about 7 - 10 years. The undergraduate degree takes 3 years. The Masters in Architecture, certified by a Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM) examination, takes about 2 to 3 years. After that, you need a minimum of 2 years work experience and the completion of the last Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM) examination.
The LAM exams take 2-3 years after university. Most universities in Malaysia build in the LAM Part I into their underdegree module.
- LAM Part I: First recognition as an Assistant Architect
- LAM Part II: Eligibility for a Graduate Architect certification
- LAM Part III: Awarded the Professional Architect title
One must undergo this entire journey to be called an Architect.
What will you study in an Architecture & Building Degree in Malaysia?
Studying an Architecture & Building Degree in Malaysia will put you in a practical environment across the following majors:
- Interior Architecture & Design
- Construction Project Management
- Urban Planning & Design
- Land Administration & Development
- Landscape Architecture
- Park & Amenity Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Real Estate
Architectural courses offer a broad knowledge on engineering as well as principles of design. Which means you will be exposed to the whole process from visualizing your building sketch, developing the schematics to working alongside with contractors during the project implementation phase.
Why should you study an Architecture & Building Degree in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, having an Architecture and Building degree allows fresh graduates to establish a stable career along with a decent income. Energy, environment, food, and pharmaceutical fields are the common career paths among students.
- There is always new developments happening: Cities will constantly need developments so you'll always have a job.
- Change the skyline: Studying Architecture in Malaysia will give you the opportunity to use the city skyline as your canvas. You can create iconics buildings like the Petronas Twin Towers.
- It's a globally indemand qualification: Due to its rigorous study years and difficutly, there aren't that many architects around. Thus you will always be in demand, everywhere.
Is an Architecture and Building Degree for you?
This degree is definitely for you if...
- You are an imaginative person, with loads of ideas.
- You are passionate about spaces and city skylines.
- You are good at mathematics and physics.
- You're a problem-solver and opportunist.
- You welcome challenge and are a hard-worker.
This degree might be for you if...
- You are creative and like to draw, and you don't want an art degree.
- You have a strong desire to create art and you want to make your work impactful.
- Whenever you are planning for a trip, big cities are always on top of your list. And you like the thought of having your name associated with a significant landmark just like the Eiffel Tower.
- Once you get your hands on an assigned task, you dedicate 100% of your time and effort to it to ensure that the project is a success. That's one of the most important attributes of a good architect. And this is not something every architectural student is prepared for.
This degree might not be for you if...
- You do not like a lot of work.
- You want a fast-track career.
This degree is certainly not for you if...
- You are not willing to invest a large sum of money for 7 years.
- You prefer the traditional cubicle office setting.
- You cannot handle stress and are unable to manage a crisis as and when it happens.
- You are more interested in home decorations, rather than actual architecture studies.
Career options with an Architecture & Building Degree in Malaysia
- Assistant to Professional Architect
- Architectural Lecturer
- Architectural Technologist
- Building Contractor
- Building Surveyor
- Civil Engineer
- Commercial or Residential Surveyor
- Landscape Architect
- Town Planner
- Interior Designer
- Property Developer
- Quantity Surveyor
Entry requirements for this programme
A Level: Pass with minimum Grade C, including Mathematics
STPM: Pass with minimum CGPA 2.00