Complete Guide to Information Technology (IT) Degree in Malaysia
An Information Technology (IT) degree in Malaysia is a 3 year program. It is the perfect balance for someone who wants to work with computers but doesn't want to be a programmer and also wants to be involved in business operations.
What is an IT Degree?
Information Technology deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to store, protect, process, transmit and securely retrieve data. IT professionals perform a variety of tasks that range from installing applications to designing complex computer networks and information databases. They are suited for data management, networking, engineering computer hardware, database and software design, as well as the management and administration of entire systems
It is different from Computer Science though they are closely linked.
A computer scientist builds programs, from start to end. In contrast, the IT person takes the finished program from the computer scientist and teaches people how to use it, and manages it for a business. Hence, you can always pursue an IT career after completing a Computer Science Degree, but it’s not as easy the other way around.
Fields in Information Technology (IT)
Financial studies comprise of the following disciplines:
|Accounting||All business operations are associated with the functions of accounting. Its scope include transaction records, internal audits, financial planning, taxation, profitability measurement, and equity assessment.|
|Banking||This field involves the studies of banking instruments, operating procedures, and credit management. Furthermore, students will also get to learn about the technological innovations that are crucial to today’s banking services.|
|Investment and risk management||Investment analysis is one the deciding factors that make or breaks a portfolio. A finance degree typically includes this specialism as compulsory to all students. It teaches how financial data can be interpreted to solve financial problems, evaluate investment vehicles and their security.|
How is a Finance Degree structured in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, a finance degree is a comprehensive undergraduate programme that covers all sectors under the financial field. Some courses are designed with more focus on a selected specialism for example, finance and banking, finance and business management, or finance and accounting.
How long is the duration of this course?
3 to 4 years, with internship.
What will you study in Degree in Finance in Malaysia?
From the fundamentals of business management to the in-depth understanding of financial theories, you will be equipped with a strong foundation to embark on a career in the finance sector. Its core modules include:
- Business Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Business Law
- Taxation in Malaysia
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Reporting
- Investment and Risk Management
Why should you study Degree in Finance in Malaysia?
- Broad career options: Finance graduates are qualified for various entry-level positions in corporations as well as banking institutions.
- Attractive salary: Incentives for finance professionals continue to grow following the market demands as well as the importance of the finance department to a business organisation.
- Prospective career progression: The field of finance is both competitive and rewarding. Fresh graduates can polish their skills and knowledge during their employment to achieve great advancement to the C-level positions.
Is a Finance Degree your ideal choice?
This degree is definitely for you if...
- You have a strong interest in economic studies.
- You are a data savvy person with sharp eyes for details.
- You are good at monitoring your own personal finances.
This degree might be for you if...
- You are an Excel wizard, which means you can perform complex formulas.
- You are willing to accept challenges to reach the top of the career ladder.
- You have the traces of excellent leadership.
This degree might not be for you if...
- You get bored easily from doing repeated tasks.
Career options with a Degree in Finance in Malaysia
Graduates with a degree in finance in Malaysia can choose to work in many financial institutions or private and public business organisations. Here are the possible career options that are in demand nationwide:
- Financial Analyst
- Commercial Credit Analyst
- Tax Consultant
- Business Intelligence
- Personal Finance Consultant
- Investment Research
- Banking Executive
Entry requirements for this programme
A Level: EEE