Complete Guide to Mass Communication Degree in Malaysia
A Mass Communication degree is a comprehensive introduction to the media industry. A degree in Mass Communication teaches students how to deliver effective messages to target audiences through different channels including print media, television, offline advertisement, and online media.
It is an important course as the media shapes many people's narratives on word issues. Mass Communication students often become journalists, public relation officers, advertisers, broadcasters and much more.
Fields of Mass Communication
||Involves programme planning, video shooting, and script writing. Students will need to learn how to present, frame, photograph, edit videos, and much more. This field teaches a lot more technical aspects of the media in addition to being able to speak and present.
||There are many types of writers within the field of journalism, from news writer to data journalist. In general, this degree will teach you how to choose the right words and using an appropriate tone of voice to deliver all types of content, including controversial topics in the most effective way.
||Communication in a business corporation is an important department as it involves media relation as well as government relation. This role represents the whole organization to deliver messages that matter to the community, which also include corporate social responsibility.
|Marketing and Advertising
||Any mass communication degree holder will be able to explore a career in marketing and advertising field using the power of media. The new curriculum in this field also involves digital marketing studies beside tradition offline advertising strategies.
How is a Mass Communication Degree structured in Malaysia?
A standard degree in Mass Communication in Malaysia usually consists of all major subjects during the first year, with year two and three focusing on a particularly specialisation. Some universities also have graded projects where students are commissioned (i.e paid) to create campaigns for companies. Most universities also include an internship placement within the degree structure. Students can then intern at a publishing house, or agency, or radio station.
How long is the duration of this course?
It usually takes 3 years to complete a degree in mass communication in Malaysia. Students who wish to become authorities in certain fields or want to teach should consider a postgraduate degree which is about 1.5 to 2 years or enroll in professional training workshops (anywhere from 3 days to 12 weeks) to enhance their knowledge.
What will you study in Degree in Mass Communication in Malaysia?
Mass communication is an exciting study path with many subjects that provide both artistic and logical insights. Some of the programme modules include:
- Media Studies
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Principles of Public Relations
- Marketing and Advertising
- Corporate Communication
- Creative Writing
- Basic Video Editing
Many universities include hands-on projects with real companies or public exhibitions.
Why should you study Degree in Mass Communication in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, graduates in this field are among the most flexible who can perform multiple tasks, which makes the job scopes more stimulating to fulfill. Most students are able to take up an entry-level job upon graduation of the course. To increase chances to be employed in prestigious adgencies, students should create portfolios of their projects to impress the recruiters.
- Expand social network: Communicators, by nature, are those who connect people. Hence a career in this field will guarantee you a great opportunity to meet many people of all backgrounds and increase your cultural understanding.
- Become an influencer: Did you know that mass communication studies also help you to level up your public speaking skill? With a good foundation, you can become an influencer with your word power (e.g writing speeches for Barack Obama or the Prime Minister)
Mass Communication is ideal for you if...
- You are comfortable and enjoy attention, speaking and meeting people
- You are passionate about sharing knowledge, whether in writing, speaking or through video
- You are fascinated by the power of media and want to be an influencer
- You enjoy competition and thrive under pressure
Career options with a Degree in Mass Communication in Malaysia
There are many occupations in the media field that graduates can consider with a mass communication degree:
- Communication Executive
- Sales and Marketing Executive
- News Reporter
- Public Relations Specialist
- TV Show Host
- Radio Deejay
- Media Planner
Entry requirements for this programme
- A Level: EEE and above
- STPM: DDD and above
- Other recognised equivalent qualifications